Tuesday 22 April 2014

University Life And T1D.

University and type one diabetes is all I've ever known. I wasn't a child with type one diabetes. I was hardly a teen with diabetes. I was, and am, somewhat, an adult with diabetes (does being a student count as being an adult?!). And that's the theme of my post on the JDRF UK Blog today:

"I was 17 years old when I was diagnosed. I was due to sit my A-Levels in about a month's time, I'd just paid off my holiday with the girls from school and I was planning on going to university that September. When I was sat in that hospital bed, I remember my Mum looking at me. She didn't say anything, but I knew what she was thinking, and, despite the uncertainty in my mind, I turned around and said to her "I've just paid off my holiday, so don't even think about trying to stop me from going! Same goes for uni! If I get the grades, I'm gone!" "

To read more, head over the the JDRF Blog, where you'll also find posts from the likes of Roddy Riddle and Gavin Griffiths (aka Diathlete). 

And finally a huge thank you to the lovely people at JDRF for publishing my post!

No comments:

Post a Comment